Judge Marty Lowy
101st Civil District Court
Since 1999, Judge Lowy has been a cast member of Bar None, the Dallas Bar Association's variety show that has raised more than $1,000,000 for the Sarah T. Hughes Diversity Scholarships at SMU School of Law.
A Message from Judge Marty Lowy
I am currently serving my second term as Judge of the 101st Civil District Court and will seek a third term in 2014.
Over the last several years, I have been committed to being a hard-working, knowledgeable, and impartial judge. In addition to my regular duties on the bench, I have taken on extra duties, such as serving as the Presiding Judge for Jury Services in 2007-2008 and serving as Local Administrative District Judge for 2011-2012. Most recently in 2013, I began serving as Presiding Judge of the Civil District Courts of Dallas County.
I appreciate the trust you place in me as a public servant and I will continue to work hard to serve the interests of justice in Dallas County.
Judge Marty Lowy
101st Civil District Court, Dallas County
MORE ABOUT JUDGE LOWY
Exceptional Credential, Experience and Leadership
- Elected Judge of the 101st Civil District Court, Dallas County, in November 2006 and sworn in on January 1, 2007; re-elected in 2010.
- Honored as 2010 Trial Judge of the Year by the Dallas Chapter of the American Board of Trial Advocates.
- Presiding Judge for Jury Services, 2007-2008.
- Local Administrative District Judge, 2011-2012.
- Presiding Judge, Civil District Courts, 2013.
- Instrumental in implementing a new Jury Management System for Dallas County in 2009.
- Instrumental in launching Dallas County's first Jury Duty Court in 2012.
- Graduated first in his class from Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law, 1979.
- Board Certified, Civil Trial Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization, 1988 to present.
- 25+ years of civil law experience before becoming a Judge, including: 18 years as a trial lawyer in private practice, 1979 to 1997, with both trial and appellate experience; and 8 years as vice president and in-house litigation counsel to a major national bank, managing all litigation for the bank's Texas division, 1997 to 2006.
- Qualified as an attorney-mediator in Texas with over 100 mediations conducted, 1993 to 2006.
- Lecturer, Texas Civil Procedure, SMU Dedman School of Law, 1981 to 1985, 2007.
- Longtime leader in the Dallas Bar Association including serving as chair of the Solo and Small Firm and Business Litigation Sections, as well as the Lawyer Referral Service, Fee Disputes, Continuing Legal Education, Media Relations and Bench-Bar Conference committees.
- Served on the Board of Directors of the Dallas Bar Association from 2008-2010.
Dallas Community Roots and Involvement
- Judge Lowy moved to Dallas in 1973. He was an active supporter of Richardson ISD schools and PTA's as his two children went through public schools. Judge Lowy is also a past fundraiser for the United Way, March of Dimes and American Heart Association.
- Since 1999, Judge Lowy has been a cast member of Bar None, the Dallas Bar Association's variety show that has raised more than $1,500,000 for the Sarah T. Hughes Diversity Scholarships at SMU Dedman School of Law.
- Judge Lowy is the lead singer for Blue Collar Crime, a cover band featuring four lawyers and Texas guitar legend Mark Pollock. Performing in all four of the Dallas Bar Association's Law Jam battles of lawyer bands, Blue Collar Crime has helped raise approximately $200,000 for pro bono legal services.